Monday, June 13, 2011

WASHINGTON, DC: Southern Goodness at Georgia Brown's

We were very excited to visit DC for Tony's birthday. I don't know when I discovered it was a bit of a foodie haven, but it totally is! We were eager to hob knob among the political elite while taking in the great monuments and museums for the first time. We had no plans for lunch upon arrival on Thursday, but lucky for us, Georgia Brown's was a close walk from our lovely hotel, the Sofitel. I was definitely craving some good Southern comfort food! We were happy to find a lunch prix fixe for $24. Although intrigued by the fried green tomato, we both opted for the seafood chowder to start, which was very hearty with lots of goodies to inhale! For mains, I couldn't resist the Carolina Gumbo, a stew of shrimp, sausage, crab, chicken, duck and veggies on red rice. It was AMAZING, a bowl of perfect goodness and hit the spot for our slightly late lunch. I lapped up the entire bowl without hesitation. Have I mentioned I love hearty, comfort food?? I should also mention that the lunch portion was just perfect, I couldn't even imagine having a "full" portion, it would be way too much and too tempting to overeat because it was so good :) Tony ordered the Southern Fried Chicken (we just HAD to have it) and it was totally worth it, marinated in buttermilk and served with delicious mashed and gravy. We're pretty sure we ordered the 2 best things on the menu, but I guess we'd have to make another visit to really judge! Our lunch ended with 2 desserts, which I was too full to have but Tony really enjoyed.

Although we would have many more amazing meals in the next couple days, starting off at Georgia Brown's for fine Southern food was was definitely in the right direction. It was quality food, a perfect stop for a good, quick lunch in a comfy restaurant. This is no doubt, a must stop, for those visiting Washington, DC. Although it had not been planned, we were very glad to have had time to check it out! Hmm Southern, country goodness!

Georgia Brown's
950 15th Street NW, Washington, DC
202-393-4499



1 comment:

  1. Oohhh I love Georgia Brown's. I loved trying to figure out who the other people dining there were (or at least making up some steamy stories :)

    ReplyDelete