Friday, October 16, 2009

Paris 2009: A View of the Beautiful City

Day 7: Paris is such a beautiful city. Everyday, I marvel at how amazing the architecture is, and how even the oldest buildings have such charm. Over the years, I think Paris has also become more "clean." Today was very sunny so we decided to make our way to the Eiffel Tower.

We walked down to the tower from Trocadero, where the Palais de Chaillot is. That view, if you have not taken it before, is better than anywhere else. By night, many of the photos you see of the tower featuring fountains are those in front of Palais de Chaillot. Like the Louvre, I had forgotten how stunning the tower is. Did you know it was initially built as a temporary structure? I'm not sure what taking it down would have been like, but now, it is stands as the symbol of Paris. Seeing it by night from the top of the Arc was beautiful, and by day, against the blue sky, it was even more magnificent. We took the elevator all the way to the top terrace of the Eiffel Tower and marveled at how BIG and beautiful the city is. It was breathtaking and I am glad we made the day trip - my last time up the tower was just at night. Both are worthwhile! Words and pictures don't capture what it is like to experience the city from the tower.

We found ourselves in St. Germain for dinner with Tony's friend Megan, who has lived inParis for a couple years. She took us to a young, hip place for locals named Cinq-Mars. It was very comfy and social. We started with kirs to drink, blackcurrent with white wine, which I loved - expect it at our Christmas party this year! To start, we had the daily special of mushroom soup, which was served with a large bowl and ladel for sharing, along with a house terrine made with beef, served like a meatloaf for the table to share. It was a very homey experience! For mains, Tony and I had seabass with spinach in cream sauce, and a house pork sausage with mashed potatoes. For dessert, I had an amazing...AMAZING...apple crumble with creme fraiche. It was better than any apple crumble I have ever had, I feel like I always have to have it with creme fraiche from now on. Tony ordered a chocolate mousse, which was literally a giant bowl of chocolate!! Megan had a unique meringue served on cream with almonds. I have developed a new appreciation for French desserts since being here, because they are always delicious but not too sweet at all! They always taste amazing and light without being overwhelmingly sugary, an appropriate end to our meals without being too heavy.

We took a leisurely walk back home, across the river and through the Louvre - beautiful by night, especially without all the crowds! I don't think I can ever get enough of the Louvre. We only have one more full day in Paris tomorrow...so many options. If it's nice maybe we will wander some more neighbourhoods, or if it is cold or raining, maybe we will step into a museum or two after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment